China’s Growing Influence in the Indian Ocean Region
By Kathryn Froend
In this Indo-Pacific Analysis Brief, Perth USAsia Centre Research and Program Officer Kathryn Froend explores China’s growing influence in the Indian Ocean region.
- The Indian Ocean is of critical importance to China.
- China has been strengthening its presence in the region via three pivotal areas:
- Economic: through regional Belt and Road Initiative projects
- Diplomatic: through regional organisations
- Cultural: through cultural organisations such as Confucius Institutes.
- Australia should pay attention to China’s engagement in the Indian Ocean – any changes in the strategic balance of the region will affect its national interests.