The Internship Program is available for students currently enrolled in a tertiary institution, as well as university graduates up to one year after course completion.
While the tertiary institution can be based outside of Perth, the Internship Program must be completed in the Perth USAsia Centre’s Offices at the University of Western Australia, Perth.
Interns must be able to commit to the standard Intake Period day(s)/week, and from time to time assist in Perth USAsia Centre events and activities after 5:00pm. Specific day(s) per week are flexible, and hours can be managed.
The Internship Program is principally not-for-credit, and for-credit where administrative arrangements are in place.
2020 Program Dates
Semester 1 2020: Week Beginning 24 February – Week Beginning 25 May
Winter Break 2020: Week Beginning 22 June – Week Beginning 20 July
- APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN AND WILL CLOSE AT 5PM FRIDAY 24 JANUARY
Semester 2 2020: Week Beginning 27 July – Week Beginning 26 October
- Application Window: Applications will open ~Week Beginning 24 February and will close ~Week Ending Friday 15 May (TBC)
- Application Window: Applications will open ~Week Beginning 30 March and will close ~Week Ending Friday 26 June (TBC)
For eligible students, Applications for an Internship Position can be made during the Application Window by submitting:
- Required: A Resume/CV
- Required: A Statement Addressing the Selection Criteria
- Optional: A Sample of Written Work (Research Internship); or a Sample of Written or Otherwise Communications Work (Communications Internship)
Please submit Applications to email@example.com
with the Subject Line “Research Internship Application” or “Communications Internship Application” as relevant.
Applicants will be principally assessed on their Statement Addressing the Selection Criteria. Applicants who thoroughly address the Selection Criteria have a legitimate expectation of being invited to Interview.
For further information on Statements Addressing the Selection Criteria, please see here
For an example of a Statement Addressing the Selection Criteria, please see here
*Experience and skills acquired through hospitality, retail and/or manual work is relevant.
Intern Experience and Completion of Internship Program
The Internship Program offers students valuable experience in a fast-paced office environment - devoted to public policy research and analysis, stakeholder engagement, events-convening and relationship-building. Interns will both contribute to the Perth USAsia Centre’s execution of its strategic objectives, and benefit from engagement with and exposure to leading State, national and international policy experts.
For further information on the Internship Program experience, please see the relevant Position Description.
Interns will receive a professional reference and a reference letter upon completion of the Internship Program.
Please follow the Perth USAsia Centre on Facebook
for Internship Program updates and announcements, including Application Window Opening Dates.
Please subscribe to the Perth USAsia Centre’s Mailing List
to receive emails, newsletters and event invitations; and visit the Perth USAsia Centre website to see Upcoming Events
For queries or for further information regarding the Internship Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Applications for the Semester 1 Intake Period are Now Open and Will Close at 5pm Friday 24 January. See below for further details.
The Perth USAsia Centre hosts a prestigious and high-quality Internship Program for university students - drawn from a diverse range of disciplines and fields of study. The Internship Program recruits students into two streams: Research and Communications.
- Research Internship - For students with experience in (or a passion for): international relations; economics, business and trade; Asian studies; and/or international law
See Research Internship Position Description
Semester 1 2020
- Communications Internship – For students with experience in (or a passion for): strategic communications; stakeholder engagement and outreach; and/or media, social media and digital content
See Communications Internship Position Description
Semester 1 2020
The Internship Program runs four intake periods per year in line with the Western Australian University Calendars, with each intern gaining ~12 business days’ experience:
- Summer Break (2 Days/Week - Jan-Feb)
- Semester 1 (1 Day/Week - Feb-May)
- Winter Break (2 Days/Week - Jun-Jul)
- Semester 2 (1 Day/Week - Jul-Oct)