The Perth USAsia Centre convened a private discussion on 22 September 2017 with Hon. Paul Papalia CSC MLA on the opportunities for Western Australia's Defence Industry. Minister Papalia is Western Australia's first Minister for Defence Issues.
- Minister Papalia spoke on his Government’s priorities within the Defence issues portfolio, as well as his vision on how Western Australia can expand its advanced defence capabilities sector.
- 2017 has seen a year of big pronouncements on defence industry expansion at the Federal and State level. In May, Minister Papalia and Premier Mark McGowan launched Defence West, a specialised defence office to promote defence contracts and defence employment in Western Australia, in addition to the Federal Government releasing its Naval Shipbuilding Plan.
- Western Australia has considerable naval and shipbuilding capability at the Australian Marine Complex in Henderson, developing further capacity at Henderson and leveraging the State's advanced manufacturing skills is a key focus of the Government.
- Minister Papalia is Western Australia's first Minister for Defence Issues, as well as Minister for Tourism; Racing and Gaming; Small Business; Defence Issues; Citizenship and Multicultural Interests, on 17 March 2017.
- Minister Papalia has been a member of the WA Legislative Assembly since 2007, following a distinguished career in the Royal Australian Navy. Mr Papalia was awarded the Conspicuous Service Cross following service with UNSCOM in Iraq in the First Gulf War.
is a Research and Program Assistant at the Perth USAsia Centre